Thursday, July 11, 2013

This place is awesome...let's go to the video!

July 11, 2013

Wow!  This place is awesome!  Scouting's newest High Adventure Base is definitely going to live up to the expectations of those who attend.   After I dropped my gear off upon arrival at Alpha Sub Camp- 3, I drove my car 5 miles (still on the Summit) to the storage area for vehicles.  It took me a little over an hour to walk back to the camp (because I did not want to wait on the shuttle).  In the dark, walking the winding and steep roads and trails for the first time brought back so many memories of hiking the trails at Buckskin Scout Reservation in Marlinton, WV (the Boy Scout Camp of my youth).  As I passed the 2 mile mark, I could see the lights in the valley of the Camp.  Nestled in the valley surrounded by Garden Ground Mountain, Mt. Hope and Oak Hill was the Summit.  Like hundreds of stars in the night I could see the lights of 300 plus shower houses, along with the hundreds of supporting tents and buildings as work progressed to ready for the 40,000 Scouting participants to the Jamboree.

During the day after arrival, I was able to take a ride to the Overlook which is located near the car storage area.  Here is a photo and a quick video.




Many of our Sub Camp Volunteer Staff have been arriving today.  We set up the Sub Camp for the 2,000 plus Scouts today and we begin tomorrow in training on program, health & safety, logistics, as well as arrival for opening day.

That is it for now.  More to follow.  Take care.

1 comment:

  1. Jack, awesome video. I got to Dead Storage for the cars just as a bus was finishing loading and got the last seat. It was next to a fellow North Florida Council member, Fred McClelland. Loved the showers after setting up cots.

    ReplyDelete