Thursday, July 4, 2013

About me and about this Blog


             Jamboree Jack

My name is Jack Sears.  Between July 10-25, 2013 I will be serving as the Director for Alpha 3- Sub Camp during the 2013 Boy Scout Jamboree to be held in my hometown of Mt. Hope, WV.   This event will draw over 40,000 Scouts and leaders to the Boy Scouts of America's newest high adventure Base- The Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve or commonly known as the Summit.  



A little about me:  Having graduated from Mt. Hope High School in 1981 I went onto earn a BA in Youth Agency Administration with an American Humanics certification from Salem College, WV.  Since 1985 I have worked for the Boy Scouts of America in leadership roles in Orlando, Fl; Griffin, GA; Hawthorne, NY and currently in Jacksonville, Fl.   As the Scout Executive and CEO of the North Florida Council, BSA it is my privilege to serve 18,000 plus Scouting families and 30,000 plus Learning for Life participants in 17 counties of North Florida.  Our team of 39 employees work with and through a network of 350 faith-based and civic-based organizations to support 6,500 Scouting Volunteers.  The Scouting program is growing and thriving in North Florida and it is my pleasure to be a part of this great organization which teaches youth important leadership, citizenship and community service skills and behaviors.

I have never Blogged before, so this will be new to me.  My goal is to share my experiences at the Jamboree with family, friends, Scouts and Scout Volunteers.   I do hope to show pictures of my beautiful home town and State while capturing the adventure and enthusiasm that Scouting has been for over 100 years and for what it will be for the next 100 years.

Stay tuned!  Check back for my posts under Jamboree Jack!  My plan is to begin posting on July 10.  Feel free to share this link and connect with me on Face Book.  Until next time- Good Scouting!

Jamboree Jack!

10 comments:

  1. Welcome "Jamboree Jack" to the blogsphere. We will link your posts in our North Florida Jamboree Facebook page (www.gotpirates.org) and via Twitter (@ScoutmasterJose).

    YIS

    Jose Lepervannche
    1st. ASM Jamboree Troop D411

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi J.J. I was in Glen Jean last week for training with the National Park Service. The roads outside the park HQ. were so busy with truck after truck going into the Summit. They are working hard to get the event ready. I hope to see some of our north florida Scouters during the Jamboree. Safe travels to all!!! YIS David Eastham "Ranger Dave" USNPS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! It is exciting. There will be 120 North Florida Scouts in our contingent to the Jamboree. Additionally there are about 50+ Scout Volunteers serving just like you in various leadership and support roles for the event. The North Florida Council will be well represented.

      Delete
  3. Jack...good luck on the blogging and I hope and pray that you have a great Jamboree! I look forward to hearing about it. Strange to think that our little "hometown" is soon to be the third largest city in WV!! (Well, at least while the Scouts are there.) Take care, bro - Scott Sears

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jambo Jack!

    Annie Lope here. I'm arriving on July 10, too so "I'll meet you at the Summit!"

    Come visit me sometime at the Action Point Trading Post. (close to Camp A)

    --Annielope880
    (Antelope SR-880)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack,
    See you at the Summit! Remind your scouts to check out The Bows and in particular Sporting Arrows where I am the event manager. Joe Hebda

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUPPORT SCOUTING at the GRASS ROOTS LEVEL!

    RUNNING OUT OF TIME! Zachary Cuny is running out of time to complete his Eagle Project! He needs donations to buy materials to finish it by August 9th (goes off to college), and he turns 18 on September 1st!!! Please help! Donate anything you can, or as much as you can... he needs your help!

    >>> http://www.gofundme.com/eagleproject <<<

    Thanks, Antonio Cuny

    (By the way, Zachary worked on the volunteer youth staff at Jamboree this year on Conservation Trek - if your son enjoyed the hike, won't you help him out?)

    ReplyDelete