Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Jamboree Road Trip



July 9, 2013


Following a 12 hour road trip from Jacksonville, Fl to Mt. Hope, WV we arrived at the Summit.  Traveling with me was our Base Camp Commissioner Steve "Odie" Gamewell.  In true Scout like fashion we made several stops along way.  Besides the usual breaks on a long drive- Odie introduced me to his hobby "Geo caching".  We made 8 cache attempts with 4 finds.  Odie has a goal to find a cache in all 50 states.  We knocked out South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia along the trip.


Here is a picture of Odie.  We found this cache at a rest stop in South Carolina.  It was just off the road in the woods.










Before we checked-in at the Jamboree I took Odie through my home town of Mt. Hope. It was a walk down memory lane- Odie was a good sport.  The town's main street was freshly paved.  Many of the buildings that I remember as a youth have disappeared.  However, it was good to catch a few pics of the following.


Mt. Hope, United Methodist Church.  I sang in the choir and this is where Boy Scout Troop 91 met. 











 This is the house that I grew up in.  205 Bluestone Road.  It doesn't appear that anyone lives there currently as the yard was in much disrepair.

 








Mount Hope High School- home of the Mustangs.  I graduated from here in 1981.  The school closed a couple of years ago.  I understand that contractors from the Summit have been leasing space inside the building.  







It was a long day of travel.  However, it was filled with fun and adventure....and some good memories as well.  When we finally checked into the Summit and called it a night- it was 10 pm.  There is a great story about that process and what happend.....but, I will save it for tomorrow.

Take care folks.  There is more to follow.

Jamboree Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment