Monday, July 22, 2013

Ambient Showers- yea right!

July 22, 2013

My intent was to post each day on this blog; however, the demands of my time have not permitted that.  Let me catch up.

The Summit is the Boy Scouts of America's 5th National High Adventure Base.  You can learn more about the activities that Scouts can participate by visiting www.SummitHighAdventure.org.  The National Jamboree has served as a launch for the use of the property.  This web site provides great information on the property and its High Adventure program.  Be sure to check it out.

Now, let me address this whole thing of "Ambient" Showers.  The Summit was built as a model of eco-friendly, sustainable property.  With that in mind, technology to mine the power of the sun is being used to fuel electronic devices and the water.

It is a huge joke to call the shower water here "Ambient"- (which I understand to be warmed by the Sun in a tank and then piped throughout).   Remember- I grew up here in Southern West Virgina---it is ground water and it is cold.  When you attend the Summit, you need to brace and prepare yourself for this.  My solar heated shower bag has provided some relief from the cold water.  I haven't had a warm, hot shower in over 2 weeks----and I am craving one.

On Sunday there were several and varied religious services to help the Scouts keep "Their Duty to God".  I attended the Roman Catholic Mass in which 10,000 Scouts and Scouters celebrated the holy Eucharist.  Even in the rain, it was one of the most uplifting experiences that I have participated in since being here.  I even prayed for warm shower water....... 

Hope you enjoy the pictures.  There are two days left in Jamboree.  I hope to share at least 2-3 more posts with the final being some time after I get home; visit with my family which I dearly miss, get a hot shower and a clean bed for a good night's sleep.  Take care, more to follow from Jamboree Jack.






AT & T provides many of these solar charging stations for
electronic devices for the Scouts.

We recycle everything- check out the stack of cardboard.
This is 4 days worth of cardboard for our Sub Camp.

More recycling- we break em out in many ways.

Randall Stephenson- Chairman & CEO of AT & T
held a reception for all Sub Camp Chiefs,  Directors and Commissioners
to say thanks for our help at the Jamboree.
Randall is the Chairman of the National Scout Jamboree.

Rainy Sunday morning for Mass.  10,000 Scouts and Scout Leaders
attended.  We stood in the rain to celebrate the holy Mass.
It was an awesome experience.

The Celebrant for the Mass was
Pope Francis ambassador
Archbishop Carlos Maria Vigano
Papal Nuncio to the United States of America.

Meet Tony DeSalvo from Williamsport, PA
He has attended every National Scout Jamboree
since 1937.  It was a great experience to visit with him.

This was a special opportunity.  I met my college roommate from Salem College, WV - Joe Hebda.
The last time that I saw Joe was at the National Scout Jamboree in 1997.
During that Jamboree, I met his young son Zach and taught Zach how to
tie a square knot.  Zach was excited to become a Scout.
Sadly, Zach died from cancer about 18 months after this visit.
Joe has built a foundation in Zach's memory to raise funds for
childhood cancer research.
www.hebdafoundation.org

1 comment:

  1. Jack, I rarely had time to use the computer, so I didn't get to check out your posts regularly. In regards to the ambient showers, we were so hot and worn out at the end of each day, that the cool water felt great. I showered and washed my hair every night. I think I used my sun shower one night only in two weeks. But it was good to get to North Carolina last night and get a hot shower. Jamboree was a great experience, met a lot of new friends and many old friends. See you soon, Karen

    ReplyDelete